Skip to main content

In Which The Firsts Are Fast Approaching

I love to celebrate! I love to celebrate birthdays, Christmas, Easter, weddings, friends and family getting new jobs, job promotions and losing weight(not so much of that lately) in fact I'll celebrate anything good.

Something that I have been thinking about lately is celebrating birthdays and Christmas. As I write it's only a few weeks away till my Mums birthday it will be the first since she has passed away. This November she will have been 57 years old. Writing this I can't believe what I am writing it still doesn't feel real instead of writing would be I wrote will be.

Last year we celebrated what would be mums last birthday we went out shopping and I treated her to some new clothes by then she had lost some weight so we went out to get her a new wardrobe then in the evening we had a little celebration at ours. We always have the same tradition in our house when it comes to birthdays and Christmas we always open our presents in the morning.

Shortly afterwards we had the devastating news a few weeks later that Mums cancer wasn't curable and now as her birthday is fast approaching this year we are going to celebrate her life.

This won't be the first time I will have to get used to firsts after Dad passed away I had to go through what I am going through now but I'm finding these firsts a lot harder to deal with and I have already written about dealing with things as a child and as an adult and this is another example of how hard things are tougher as you get older.

After Mum's birthday it won't be long then until the first Christmas with out her it seems that Christmas comes earlier and earlier every year it hasn't even been Halloween yet but Christmas decorations are already in the shops I normally don't mind but this time it's really getting to me as it always serves as a constant reminder of what I've lost and that I'm not going to have Mum to celebrate it with her every time I pop out to get a carton of milk.

On the day of Mum's birthday I'm going to visit her grave to take some flowers for her and lift a glass of something to her in the evening and think of all the positive memories that we had with each other

Josh Clayton 24/10/2017

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In Which I Learn To Grieve....Slowly

As I write it has been just over two months since my mum passed away and in that space of time my life has changed dramatically. There are two types of change that I am getting used to. The first change is not having mum here which is the biggest change and the second change is how to grieve. There isn't a one size fits all approach, training guide or instruction book on how to navigate through the mental quagmire of grief I've leanred over the past two months since mum has passed away to make up a strategy as I go along I'm not sure if this is common way to deal with it I've learned that there are multiple ways to deal with grief but the main thing is embracing your way of grief. When my Dad passed away I was always hard on myself for not crying but I've since come to learn mostly from my mum telling me that the way I feel at any given time is normal. I've taken that strength that Mum taught me and am applying it every day. Losing my Dad when I was litt

In Which I Mourn A Life I Won't Have Anymore

As I write it is bonfire night and all around I can hear the explosions of fireworks around me. As multitudes of fireworks get destroyed and burnt away I am left thinking about everything in my life that has also been both destroyed and burnt away from me. When my Dad passed away when I was twelve I lost the rest of my childhood literally over night when my mum came into my grandparents house where I stayed that night and told me the news I went totally numb emotionally and that manifested its way all the way through my life until I reached a turning point at 21. Through my school career I never felt like I truly fitted in with my peers and people my age. This happened because I had to grow up fast when you see your Dad at the age of twelve who was always active who took you swimming, walked many miles around Leicester, London, Scotland and Cornwall, went to the park with you and was full of life to seeing this loving, kind, gentle and strong man who in the last few weeks of his li