Skip to main content

In Which I Mourn A Life I Won't Have Anymore

As I write it is bonfire night and all around I can hear the explosions of fireworks around me. As multitudes of fireworks get destroyed and burnt away I am left thinking about everything in my life that has also been both destroyed and burnt away from me.

When my Dad passed away when I was twelve I lost the rest of my childhood literally over night when my mum came into my grandparents house where I stayed that night and told me the news I went totally numb emotionally and that manifested its way all the way through my life until I reached a turning point at 21.

Through my school career I never felt like I truly fitted in with my peers and people my age. This happened because I had to grow up fast when you see your Dad at the age of twelve who was always active who took you swimming, walked many miles around Leicester, London, Scotland and Cornwall, went to the park with you and was full of life to seeing this loving, kind, gentle and strong man who in the last few weeks of his life had turned yellow was hiccuping and struggling to go to the toilet in a hospital room makes you stop seeing life as others my age did who at time were off having fun, playing on play stations and who didn't have a worry in the world.

When I went back to school it was a miserable experience I constantly felt different I put on weight, struggled academically and shut myself in the library and escaped into books all the time wishing my life was the same as all those around me this feeling would be a constant in my life to this day and even more so after my mum has passed away I wish I had a life like those my age who still have both their parents is that so much to ask?

This feeling has manifested itself in many shapes I wish my Dad could see his son turn 13 and turn into an adult. Whilst seeing me pass my driving test, get my first job, and see me become an Assistant Manager back in 2015.

Now my Mum has passed away that feeling has intensified now I'm not just mourning what my Dad won't see I'm now mourning what both my parents won't be here to see or do. They won't be here to see me settle down, get engaged, get married and have children. They also won't be able to spend time with their grandchildren and they won't be able to enjoy retirement.

I'm also very slowly coming to terms with the fact that I am parent less at the age of 26 I don't know any one in my age range who this has happened to so seeking advice from people around my age is very hard so I'm making it up as I go along and going on a journey at the same time.

Something I keep on asking myself and have lodged in my mind all the time is why this happened to Me and my family why have the people I love so much been taken away from me in a really cruel way. My parents were the most loving people I have known. Both were exceptional nurses in fact they met at nursing college in Leicester where they both trained together before my Dad went on to briefly become  a HIV and AIDS nurse in London before returning to Leicestershire to become a Health visitor. Whilst Mum was a pediatrics nurse before becoming a carer for people with paralysis and ending her life working as an LSA.

Something that has helped me a lot is a friend telling me that my parents are watching over me so I need to give them something good to watch. and this is so true I need to get out and enjoy my life I also need to focus on what I have got instead of what I'm going to miss and what I have got is a really great family, friends and a great support network

Josh Clayton
11/11/17

Shout out to my cousin this week for all the help on Friday thanks a lot Bea :)









Comments

  1. I Can relate and empathise Joshua as it was a similar experience for me when i lost my dad, i was 11..12 years old too. The effect and grief was massive! I felt a part of me had died. The school i attended at that young age didnt have a clue what i was going through! The teachers only wanted educational results. I went late every morning to the discust of my form teacher...whom i told to fuck off every morning! Be great to chat Josh! Uncle Phil 🤗

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In Which I Learn To Grieve....Slowly

As I write it has been just over two months since my mum passed away and in that space of time my life has changed dramatically. There are two types of change that I am getting used to. The first change is not having mum here which is the biggest change and the second change is how to grieve. There isn't a one size fits all approach, training guide or instruction book on how to navigate through the mental quagmire of grief I've leanred over the past two months since mum has passed away to make up a strategy as I go along I'm not sure if this is common way to deal with it I've learned that there are multiple ways to deal with grief but the main thing is embracing your way of grief. When my Dad passed away I was always hard on myself for not crying but I've since come to learn mostly from my mum telling me that the way I feel at any given time is normal. I've taken that strength that Mum taught me and am applying it every day. Losing my Dad when I was litt